Global Command

Global Command

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SOLC 11: Tai-Pan

This week, I read Tai-Pan by James Clavell. As you may know, I was a huge fan of Shogun, another book by him. In Tai-Pan, England has finally captured Hong Kong from the Chinese. Dirk Struan, a highly successful trader and Tai-Pan (someone who wields all the power in a group or company) dealing in the trade of tea and opium, has plans for this desolate rock. He sets off on a quest to make Hong Kong a thriving colony and the headquarters for his company. He seeks to promote his company, Noble House, defeat his rival, Tyler Brock, and train his only remaining legitimate son, Culum to obtain the post of Tai-Pan.
I absolutely loved this book. The writing was imaginative and interesting, the characters complex, and the plot immersive. The writing made me take the side of whichever characters point of view is being told at the time, and the characters seem just so real, with no character being anywhere near perfect. I simply loved this book, in all of its page-turner glory. I would compare this book to Shogun, and recommend it to everyone. This book is a shoo-in for an easy 10/10.

SGC

3 comments:

  1. Since I enjoyed Shogun so much, I will definitely be reading this one, it's in the Logan library I presume?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good. Is it a sequel to Shogun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great, another book on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete

Skynet Global Command Thanks You