Global Command

Global Command

Monday, April 6, 2015

GREEN MARS

This week, I read Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Green Mars is the second book in the Mars Trilogy, and not quite as good as the first book. This book follows the adventures of Nirgal as he learns about Mars and helps transform it into planet worth living on. Nirgal is one of the first generation of people born on Mars, and also one of the key people intent on starting a revolution and yanking Mars from Earth's control.

This book was an entertaining read for me, mostly because of how accurate the science was. This book accurately depicted the possibilities and limitations of technology that could be used to colonize and terraform a planet. In this book, one of the main hardships on emigrants to Mars was muscle atrophy. Muscle atrophy is when a person's muscles weaken when in space or on an alien planet due to decreased gravity. If that person stays in that state for too long, they will never be able to re-adjust to earth gravity. I really liked this book, and would give it a 8/10, mainly because of how accurate the science was, and how interesting the characters are. This book is comparable to 2312 or Dune.

SGC

4 comments:

  1. Another Mars book, but this goes farther with the colonization than The Martian I guess from your description. It also sounds as if it's about power struggles, right? Are there more already, or is the third not out yet? Glad you found a good book, Jonah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sci-fi. I know I will love this book because you compared it to books that I love. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I'll check that out

    ReplyDelete

Skynet Global Command Thanks You