Global Command

Global Command

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Slice Of Life #1 - Thoughts On Santa

When I am trying to fall asleep, I often lay in the dark of my room, stare at the ceiling and think. This particular night I was thinking about Christmas. I started off thinking about how enthusiastic everyone is for it. I mean, what is there not to like about giving and receiving gifts? As I thought about this, I realized that there is quite a bit to not like. The first thing I came up with was the television advertisements. Around this time of year, the tv ads switch to last year’s cheesy commercials, which gets annoying and blows the whole buying part out of perspective while burying the giving part under a rock. Also, Black Friday isn’t even an actual holiday. It started out when some businesses tried to convert one of the slowest days of the year, the friday after Thanksgiving into a day where people spent money. You would think that businesses would try and prevent injuries during Black Friday, but no. They do nothing to prevent deaths, which have happened. People chop down millions of pine trees every year for christmas trees, trees that could have been supporting the ecosystem, producing oxygen, and preserving nature. Instead, Christmas has turned into one big “pollute-the world-and-destroy-nature-party”. Children act with a sense of entitlement towards Christmas gifts, not caring about anything. Christmas shouldn’t be treated with that attitude. Even in the US, there are millions of children who are not fortunate enough to receive anything for christmas, because their parents can not afford gifts.

My final problem with Christmas is how children are told for a long time that Santa is real, but in fact they are being lied to. Children who are taught not to lie by their parents are told by their parents a massive lie, undermining the parent’s credibility. Children are also forced to sit on Santa’s lap, often when kicking and screaming. Then I fell asleep.

-SGC

9 comments:

  1. I strongly agree SGC,
    I think that Christmas has a lot of problems and I do agree that Christmas and santa start as a massive lie your very first christmas. I hope that someday this will change.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is just becoming overly commercial, Christmas is no longer about being with family but it is about being with your stuff. Humans are greedy and that is what is driving forward Christmas to be about buying stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought to deeply about christmas, but I guess you do. Ya' learned how to blog!!! Skynet Global Command, funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how the thoughts fly when we're trying to go to sleep, & this time, you had many to ponder. Glad to hear your ideas about Christmas, Jonah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your blog post. It had and interesting subject matter. I had never thought about Christmas that way. Your post left me wondering how Christmas changed from a religious holiday to a shopping holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your rant. It's very informative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS WAS SO GREAT JONAH. I love your reference to Christmas as a "pollute-the world-and-destroy-nature-party". It was great to hear your opinion on this. Excellent post, excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a pretty awesome post and it was pretty insightful, nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Skynet Global Command Thanks You